Wednesday, February 25, 2009

First fantasy draft! Live Blog Pt 1

Trolling the Yahoo message boards, I came across an invitation to what would seem to be very unique league. A league for Yahoo champions (a term used very, very loosely) that had roster positions of C,1B,2B,3B,SS,LF,CF,RF,SP,RP,B,B,B,B,B,B. So I will be drafting this team as though I were drafting a real baseball team, with a rotation and what-not.

I have the third pick, and make no mistake this is a wake and bake situation...

The draft is in 4 minutes..... some nuggets.


How about a real time photo?



9:30 am: First pick- Hanley Ramirez. Personally, I have a hard time taking players from bad teams as my first couple picks. Hanley is a monster but I have my tics.

9:31 am: With Pujols going second (an injury risk IMO) I opt for Jose Reyes third. Truth be told, I would take him with my FIRST pick if I needed to. It's a guaranteed win for the SB category.

9:32 am: A-Rod, Hamilton, Sizemore (!) and Miguel Cabrera go next. Sizemore is super talented and one of the funnest players to watch in MLB. But a fantasy stud?! I say no.

9:34- Three picks away from Santana in round 2! Come to daddy!

9:35 Sabathia goes before Johan! HAHAHAHAHA! You want to talk about a FAIL waiting to happen! Wait until CC feels that NY pressure. Plus, did you know they have hot dog stands ON EVERY STREET CORNER?! This will not end well, pinky promise.

9:37 The pick before me took BJ fricking Upton! WTF? I am not taking anyone KNOWN for jogging to first base on grounders.

9:37 This league has been Santana'd. With my third round pick I take 33 MVP. This is going to be a very, very good year.

9:40 I am looking at getting Joe Nathan and Joe Mauer in the fourth and fifth rounds. .... Got Nathan but do I grab Mauer or wait for Weiter?

9:44 Hard to pass up the reigning AL Cy Young winner, Cliff Lee in the fifth round. Pitching would seem to be very important in a league like this.... Catcher will have to wait.

9:45 Shit. The next three picks are Mauer, Soto, and McCann. I am in a little trouble here.

9:46 Weiters and Doumit still on board with three picks ahead of me. Crossing fingers and toes.

9:47 FUDGE! Weiters goes directly in front of me! Panic pick and take Jay Bruce. Come on, man, do NOT go on tilt already! The catcher fallout is a HUGE BLOW!

9:49 With the next pick, I relent and take Ryan Doumit. Not a big fan, but the next catchers on the board were Posada, Shoppach, Snyder and a few Molinas. Not pretty. So far I have drafted Reyes, Santana, Morneau, Cliff Lee, Doumit, Jay Bruce and Joe Nathan. Dec.

9:52 Third base is looking pretty grim. Zimmerman, Huff and Figgins remain, with Encarnacion and Adrian Beltre on the next teir. I will never, ever draft Encarnacion. I will roll with an empty spot on my roster. That guy is one of the biggest fantasy cock teases there is.

Fantasy Cock Teases, pt 1:

Encarnacion, E
Wells, V
Hunter, T
Milledge, L
Tejada, M
Sheets, B

1 comment:

  1. "Not pretty. So far I have drafted Reyes, Santana, Morneau, Cliff Lee, Doumit, Jay Bruce and Joe Nathan. Dec."

    Nice use of dec, and not a bad team...

    ReplyDelete